To prepare for this Discussion:
• Review Chapter 8 in the Loeb (2010) course text for insights into community mobilization and related influences on decisions for publicity campaigns.
Select a current or relatively recent example of a publicity campaign associated with a social issue in which you are interested or involved.
• Evaluate the publicity campaign. What mediums, messages, and techniques did the campaign employ and what made it effective?
• With these thoughts in mind:
POST your evaluation of the effectiveness of the publicity campaign you selected.
Conclude your posting with insights you have gained about publicity campaigns and effective dissemination of information that could inform your group’s publicity campaign.
MUST HAVE AT LEAST TWO SIGNIFICANT PARAGRAPHS.
• Loeb, P. R. (2010). Soul of a citizen: Living with conviction in challenging times (Rev. ed.). New York, NY: St. Martin’s Griffin.
o Chapter 8, “Village Politics” (pp. 195–227)
o Chapter 9, “Widening the Circle” (pp. 228–256)
o Chapter 10, “Pieces of a Vision” (pp. 257–286)
• Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Processes of choosing the message and the media [Video]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 11 minutes.
Social Media and Disaster Response
• Slagh, C. (2010, March 4). How social media changed disaster response in Haiti: Expanding foreign volunteerism opportunities [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://securenation.wordpress.com/2010/03/04/how-social-media-changed-disaster-response-in-haiti-expanding-foreign-volunteerism-opportunities/
• VolunteerMatch. (2012). VolunteerMatch. Retrieved from http://www.volunteermatch.org/